Nurse Educator Certificate (Post-Master’s)
|Time to Complete
WCU distance education programs may not be available to residents in all states.
Clinical Hour Requirement: this track requires a total of 135 precepted clinical hours.
Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) Code: 29-1141.00, 25-1072.00
Faculty shortages at nursing schools across the country are limiting student capacity at a time when the need for nurses continues to grow. Budget constraints, an aging faculty, and increasing job competition from the service setting have contributed to this emerging crisis. Certified Nurse Educator (CNE certification) is available through the National League for Nursing.
Applicants for the Nursing Educator Certificate (Post-Master's) Program must:
- Have graduated from an accredited master's or doctoral program in nursing.
- Provide proof of a current unobstructed Registered Nurse (RN) license from the United States.
- Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions recognized by the United States Department of Education. Applicants submitting non-U.S. or non-English transcripts should refer to the International Admissions section of the catalog.
- Have a cumulative graduate GPA of 2.7.
- Applicants with an undergraduate degree GPA of 2.5-2.69 may be considered for probationary admission after meeting the following admissions requirements:
- The applicant must provide a letter of intent.
- The applicant must be approved for admission following an interview with the Program Dean/Director.
- The applicant must satisfy program prerequisites and achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all coursework attempted over the first trimester (two terms). Students failing to meet these requirements following the first trimester (two terms) will be withdrawn from the university.
- One year of direct patient care nursing experience within the past five years is preferred.
- English proficiency for all applicants whose first language is not English will be required. Consult with Nursing and Student Affairs for any questions.
Nurse Educator Certificate (Post-Master's) Curriculum
Nurse Educator Certificate (Post-Master's) Coursework
|NURS 535||Principles of Teaching and Learning||
|NURS 642||Assessment and Evaluation in Nursing Education||
|NURS 640||Curriculum Design and Simulation||
|NURS 641LA||Education Teaching Practicum||
|NURS 641LB||Education Teaching Practicum||
|Total Credit Hours:||12.0
Nurse Educator (Post-Master's) Certificate Program Costs
For program costs, please see the Distance Education Tuition and Fees section.